A great satay sauce recipe to try !
- 1 1/2 cup dry roasted peanuts (unsalted)
- 1 cup water
- 1 tablespoon sweet soy sauce (Kecap Manis)
- 1 1/2 tablespoon sugar (palm sugar preferred)
- 1/8 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 cup oil
- 1 heaped tamarind pulp (soaked in 1/4 cup water for 15 minutes, squeeze the tamarind pulp for juice and discard the pulp)
- 6-8 dried red chilies (seeded and soaked in warm water)
- 3 cloves garlic
- 3 shallots
- 2 lemon grass (white parts only)
- 1 inch ginger (galangal preferred)
- 1 tablespoon coriander powder (optional)
Crush the peanuts coursely with mortar and pestle or mini food processor and set aside.
Chop the spice paste ingredients and blend until fine. Heat oil and fry the spice paste until aromatic and smell spicy. Add the peanuts, tamarind juice, water, sugar, sweet soy sauce and stir thoroughly. Simmer in low heat while continue stirring for about 3 minutes until the peanut sauce turns smooth. The satay sauce recipe is ready to serve at room temperature with the satay....nice ! Enjoy the satay !